So remember when in my review of Transformers I couldn’t understand the people who were complaining about Optimus killing the bad guys (because apparently in their warped memory Prime was a stand in for Gandhi). It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one who remembers the old cartoon has some logical sense of right and wrong.
Daily Archives: July 20, 2011
Here’s a question that always bugs me: the phrase “Judeo-Christian values”. Used a lot by the right, but there is a healthy amount of it on the left as well. In fact both sides use the phrase too much. Too too much. I have grown to hate the phrase because I actually know Christianity. I have read three translations of the Bible cover to cover (and some of the New Testament in the original Greek), I have read the Gnostic texts and the Gospels that didn’t make it; I have read the Council decisions of the ancient and medieval world. I have read Augustine, Aquinas, Maimonides, Kierkegaard, C.S. Lewis and a handful of other Christian philosophers. And I can tell you just about any and every value (no matter how contradictory) can be justified at some point in time as a Judeo-Christian value. The phrase Judeo-Christian value is so vague and so nebulous as to mean NOTHING. But clearly everybody means something when they say it…Hell even atheists like to use the phrase when attacking people.
So I would like to know what are the Judeo-Christian values you all refer to?
I can articulate my spiritual beliefs and how they lead to political ends…can someone please help me figure out what the other side is valuing…
New Age Conservative Values
- Uniqueness of humanity and the spark of the divine which leads to reason
- Free will to use that reason is what makes us divine and leads to Liberty
- Reincarnation and Karma leads to Long Term Thinking
- Value of Life over the Quantity leads to policy that encourages virtue and opportunity not results.
- That Enlightenment is the goal of multiple lives which means that happiness is the goal of an individual life.